Escape to Paradise: Uncover the Hidden Gem of Taiwan's Westin Yilan Resort
Escape to Paradise: Westin Yilan - Where Bliss Meets… Taiwanese Thunderstorms? (A Review - Messy, Honest, and Full of Opinions)
Alright, travel junkies and weary souls, buckle up. My recently concluded stay at the Westin Yilan Resort in Taiwan… well, it was an experience. And I'm here to spill the beans, the tea, and probably a little bit of the free bottled water they give you (which, let’s be honest, is a must in the humidity). This review is going to be less "polished travel brochure" and more "drunkenly scribbled journal entry." Prepare yourselves.
First Impressions & Getting There: Accessibility & Initial Glimpses
Okay, let's start with the basics. Accessibility: The Westin Yilan seems to be trying. They do have facilities for disabled guests, which is always a huge plus. I wasn't personally testing this area, but the presence of an elevator and the general layout looked promising for wheelchair access. BUT, I’m also a firm believer that “looking promising” doesn’t always translate to reality, so double-check specifics if you have particular needs. Beyond that, it's generally easy to get to, with Airport transfer available. The car park [free of charge] is a godsend, trust me. Driving in Taiwan? Another experience entirely.
Welcome to the Land of Wi-Fi (And Other Comforts)
Before I get to the good stuff, let's tick off what everyone cares about: Internet. Praise be, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Seriously, a lifesaver for someone who needs to stay connected. And not just in the rooms; Wi-Fi in public areas was also decent. The lack of good internet can break a vacation and it's great to not spend precious time looking for a connection. Also, Air conditioning is a must in Yilan. You'll thank me later.
Rooms: My Personal Oasis (Mostly)
The room itself? Pretty damn good. Clean, modern, and with all the usual suspects: Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathrooms, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Hair dryer, Ironing facilities, Mini bar, Refrigerator, Safe box, Slippers, Toiletries, Towels, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens. The Blackout curtains were a godsend for sleeping in (which I desperately needed). They also give you Free bottled water, which, as I said, is a must. I'm a simple person, and I appreciate a good Seating area, and theirs was comfy. The Bedding and the extra long beds were a definite plus.
Bathroom Rant Incoming: My only significant room complaint? The shower pressure was…weak. Like, “contemplating a career change” weak. But hey, at least they had a great Separate shower/bathtub situation! It’s the little things, right?
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Adventure (or at least the Relaxation)
Alright, this is where the Westin Yilan really shines. Food, glorious food!
- Restaurants: They have several!
- Breakfast: The Breakfast [buffet] was epic. Truly, a glorious spread. They had Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in a restaurant, International cuisine in a restaurant, Western breakfast, and Western cuisine in a restaurant. The highlight? Those fluffy, slightly sweet Taiwanese pastries! Heaven. The buffet also had Coffee/tea in restaurant, which, yes, is essential.
- Other Meals: The A la carte in restaurant options were also great, and the Desserts in restaurant were to die for. I'd highly recommend the sticky rice with mango.
- Poolside bar: Perfect for a post-swim cocktail. Happy hour was also pretty solid.
- Room service [24-hour]: Need a midnight snack? Delivered right to your door! Perfect for those moments when jet lag hits hard, and you just need a burger and fries in your pajamas.
- Snack bar: Quick bites available.
- Vegetarian restaurant.
- Alternative meal arrangement.
- Bottle of water.
- Buffet in a restaurant
- Poolside bar
- Salad in a restaurant
- Soup in a restaurant
The Sanitized kitchen and tableware items were appreciated. I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so it’s good to know they're doing their thing. They also offer Breakfast in room which is the best. Especially if you want to have a lie-in.
Let's Talk Relaxation: Spa, Pools, and the Pursuit of Zen
This is where the Westin REALLY tries to justify its name. Honestly, if there’s one thing this place knows, it’s how to help you unwind.
- Spa: The full-on spa experience is excellent. I indulged in a Body wrap and a Massage, and I swear, I felt like I’d been reborn. Seriously, if you need to de-stress, book yourself in.
- Swimming pool: The Swimming pool [outdoor] is gorgeous, with a Pool with a view. Ahhh, the bliss of floating in the water, gazing at the mountains… until the inevitable thunderstorm rolled in. (More on that later.)
- Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom.
The Great Yilan Thunderstorm: A Quasi-Disaster Experience
Alright, here’s where things get interesting. Yilan is known for its lush, green landscapes…and its epic thunderstorms. One afternoon, while enjoying the Swimming pool [outdoor] with that stunning Pool with a view, the sky turned a menacing shade of grey, and the heavens unleashed a deluge. We’re talking buckets of rain, lightning cracking, and thunder that shook the ground. It was both terrifying and exhilarating.
The anecdote? I was in the outdoor pool, and the rain made it impossible to see. I quickly got out, and ran for cover. The bar was nice, and the staff was gracious.
Things to Do (Beyond Relaxation):
Okay, so beyond lounging, what else? Again, the Westin Yilan has you covered:
- There is a Fitness center: I used it a few times (to try to work off some of the delicious food!).
- Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, and Car park [free of charge]
- Body scrub
- Foot bath
- Gym/fitness
- Salon
- Coffee shop
- Convenience store
- Gift/souvenir shop
- Kids facilities
- Babysitting service
- Bicycle parking
- Shrine
- Terrace
- Proposal spot
- Meeting/banquet facilities
- Meetings
- Seminars
- There are Things to do off-site, but honestly, given the resort's offerings, I mostly stuck around.
Cleanliness and Safety: The Important Stuff
In a post-pandemic world, this is crucial. The Westin Yilan scores well here:
- Anti-viral cleaning products: This is super important.
- Daily disinfection in common areas
- Hand sanitizer
- Hygiene certification
- Individually-wrapped food options
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter
- Professional-grade sanitizing services
- Room sanitization opt-out available
- Rooms sanitized between stays
- Safe dining setup
- Staff trained in safety protocol
The fact that they offer Doctor/nurse on call and First aid kit is excellent.
Services and Conveniences: The Extras
- Cash withdrawal
- Concierge
- Contactless check-in/out
- Currency exchange
- Daily housekeeping
- Doorman
- Dry cleaning
- Elevator
- Essential condiments
- Facilities for disabled guests
- Food delivery
- Gift/souvenir shop
- Indoor venue for special events
- Invoice provided
- Ironing service
- Laundry service
- Luggage storage
- Meetings
- Meeting stationery
- On-site event hosting
- Outdoor venue for special events
- Projector/LED display
- Smoking area
- Terrace
- Xerox/fax in business center
- Audio-visual equipment for special events
- Business facilities
For the Kids: Family-Friendly Fun
They have a Babysitting service and Kids meal.
Overall Verdict: Worth It (Especially If You Like Rain)
The Westin
Capital O Hotel Diro: Monterrey's BEST Kept Secret? (Luxury on a Budget!)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into my chaotic adventure at the frankly gorgeous (and a little overpriced, let's be honest) Westin Yilan Resort in Taiwan. This isn't your perfectly manicured itinerary – this is my memory, served up with a side of questionable decisions and a whole lotta love (and maybe a tiny bit of sunburn).
Day 1: Arrival & Immediate Bliss (Followed by Mild Panic)
- 1:00 PM: Landed in Taipei. The airport? Immaculate. The crowds? Existential dread-inducing. Seriously, the sheer volume of people trying to navigate those baggage carousels… it's a competitive sport. Managed to find my pre-booked (thankfully) transfer to the resort. Hooray for forward planning!
- 3:00 PM: Arrived at the Westin. And, wow. Just. Wow. Lobby is all sleek wood and light. That signature Westin scent? Heaven. Checked in – smooth as butter. The sheer relief of finally shedding all those layers (sweating city travel is NOT my vibe) and sinking into a fluffy robe… pure, unadulterated bliss. They even gave me a welcome drink. A very welcome drink, after those crowds.
- 3:30 PM: Room reconnaissance. The view… over the rice paddies and the mountains… chef's kiss. Immediately fell into a chair by the balcony and declared myself unavailable for anything other than staring. This is the life, right? This is why I work so damn hard.
- 4:00 PM: Decided to be "active". Strolled to the infinity pool. Took approximately three steps before tripping over my own feet. Grace of a newborn giraffe, I have.
- 4:15 PM: Found a sun lounger. Perfect spot. But…the sun. It was INTENSE. Like, “I'm going to become a lobster by sunset” intense. Slathered on sunscreen. Twice.
- 5:00 PM: Ordered a cocktail at the pool bar. Said, and I quote, "Make it strong." They delivered.
- 6:00 PM: The REAL problem began. I wandered towards the spa. The aroma… rosemary, lemon, something I can't quite define but it smelled divine. I was getting a massage, which was a glorious decision.
- 7:30 PM: Dinner. Buffet. I'm a sucker for a buffet. Everything was beautifully presented. They had a sushi station! A noodle station! All the things! This is where the slight panic kicked in. I could feel myself overeating. I tried everything. Seriously, everything. The crab legs? Gone. The dumplings? Devoured. My self-control? MIA.
- 9:00 PM: Staggered back to my room. Felt like a beached whale. The bed felt like a cloud. Officially, and gloriously, exhausted.
Day 2: Adventure (Sort Of) & Cultural Immersion (Mostly Involving Food)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. Sun is peeping through the curtains. Feel vaguely human. The buffet consequences… lingering.
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast. Managed to restrain myself. Okay, maybe a few pastries snuck in. Had the most amazing green tea.
- 10:00 AM: A "cultural experience" that looked very organized, but was really very free-flowing. The guide was lovely. The rice paddies? Stunning. Took some pretty pictures. Got a bit lost on the way back. Thankfully, found my way back.
- 12:00 PM: Tried to find a local restaurant based on the guides recommendations. Found a place that looked authentic. It was… intense. The food was delicious (once I figured out what everything was), but the portions were massive. I think I consumed an entire pig.
- 2:00 PM: Nap. Required after that food coma. The sun was definitely not as intense as yesterday.
- 4:00 PM: So, something happened. I was planning to go for a walk, but saw a sign for "afternoon tea". So, I decided to double down. The tea was lovely, but the little sandwiches were slightly underwhelming, but the cakes… oh baby. The cakes. I ate all the cakes. ALL OF THEM.
- 6:00 PM: Pre-dinner cocktails. The bartender remembered me. I may have overshared.
- 7:30 PM: Dinner. This time, I was determined to be sensible. I mean, the buffet, again, was calling me but I had to be strong. I ordered a single dish. I ate it. I liked it. I felt GOOD!
- 9:00 PM: Back to the room. A little tipsy, but happy. The mountains looked beautiful in the moonlight.
Day 3: Farewell (And a Vow of Self-Control… Probably Broken Already)
- 8:30 AM: Breakfast. Okay, I may have had a few more pastries. Let’s admit it, I am weak.
- 9:30 AM: One last dip in the pool. Tried to be graceful this time. Mostly succeeded. No major face plants!
- 10:30 AM: Checked out. Felt strangely sad to be leaving.
- 11:00 AM: Transfer to the airport.
- 1:00 PM: Boarded the plane. Head full of memories, stomach full of… well, everything.
So, would I go back to the Westin Yilan Resort? Absolutely. Was it perfect? Nope. Did I make questionable food choices? You betcha. But that's what made it my trip. It was messy, it was delicious, and it was a much-needed dose of "me time" with a side of epic scenery. And honestly? I wouldn't trade a single over-eaten pastry for anything.
Knights Inn Auckland: Your Epic Kiwi Adventure Starts Here!
Westin Yilan: Paradise Found (Maybe? Let's See...) - FAQ Unfiltered
Okay, Okay, Spill the Tea: Is This Place REALLY "Paradise?"
The Room, the Room! TELL ME ABOUT THE ROOM! Was it… *sniff*… luxurious?
**Pro Tip:** Book a room with a balcony overlooking the pool. Trust me. Especially at sunset. Just… breathtaking. Also maybe bring your own mosquito repellent. Those buggers are relentless.
What About the Food? Did I Need to Pack My Own Ramen?
And let's talk about lunch and dinner. The Chinese restaurant, "Yue," was…a mixed bag. Some dishes left me wanting more, some blew my socks off, others were just… interesting. One dish, a particular spicy fish, I swear I saw stars. Beautiful, searing, delicious stars. The Italian restaurant? Fine. Not mind-blowing, but perfectly acceptable. Overall, I give the food a solid B+. Not cheap, though. Be prepared to open your wallet a bit.
The Pool! The Pool! Did You Actually *Swim*?
The Spa! Was it Worth It? Did You Get Rubbed?
**Anecdote-time!** The lady next to me was getting a facial. You could her screams of 'MORE' coming through the walls.
**Bottom line**: Go, treat yourself, but maybe specify "gentle".
Beyond the Hotel: What's There to *Do*? (Besides Eat and Sleep)
The Service! How Was the Service? Were the Staff… Helpful? (Because, Asia)

