Zimbabwe's Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel: Mudzi's Hidden Gem!
Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel: Mudzi's Hidden Gem! - A Totally Honest Review (with rambling bits)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea on Zimbabwe's Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel in Mudzi! Forget those sterile travel brochures and get ready for the REAL deal. I'm talking honest-to-goodness, warts-and-all review, because let's be real, nobody wants a perfectly polished Instagram post; we crave real experiences.
(Warning: This review may contain mild travel-induced rambling and the occasional hyperbole.)
First Impressions & Accessibility – The Ups and Downs:
So, Mudzi. Let's just say it's not exactly a hop, skip, and a jump from anywhere. The drive itself… well, it gives you a good appreciation for Zimbabwe's vastness (and maybe your car's suspension!). But hey, the hotel truly delivers a "hidden gem" vibe. I found myself murmuring a confused "Wow" when I finally pulled up.
Accessibility: Now, here's where the real tea spills. The hotel does have Facilities for disabled guests, which is a massive plus. However, be sure to contact them directly about specifics – I didn't personally test the full wheelchair accessibility, but I'd imagine some areas work better than others. Elevator is present, which is promising - though it took me a minute to find it. Exterior corridor access is nice.
Getting Around: Free Parking is a godsend. You won't find a lack of parking spaces, and they offer Valet parking too. Airport transfer is available; a real lifesaver after that long drive.
(Okay, quick detour: My inner scatterbrain is kicking in! Remember that time I tried to navigate a Parisian metro with a suitcase and a map solely relying on my bad French? Let's just say, the airport transfer is a very good thing.)
Rooms: Cozy Caverns and Wi-Fi Wonders (and a Few Quirks):
The Rooms, oh the rooms! They are clean and well-maintained, and a definite highlight. Air conditioning is a must, especially in the Zimbabwean heat. The Free Wi-Fi? Amazing. I mean, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! They seriously have some of the best internet, if not the best. I even used the Internet [LAN] for a bit, while trying to get work done, it was also amazing. And the Internet, Internet services are top-notch. Some rooms come with a Laptop workspace, which worked great for me.
Also included are extra-long beds, and bathrobes ready for you! The rooms also have a desk for working if needed. Air conditioning in the lobby, and blackout curtains and non-smoking rooms which is a must for me. I went for a room with interconnecting room(s) available, which was a bit of an adventure, I'd have to say! They are also soundproof, which is nice, but can be a bit off-keeping. Wake-up service is also a pro.
But (there's always a but, right?), my initial room had a somewhat…enthusiastic air conditioning unit that kept me up the first night. Fixed, though! Room sanitization opt-out available, which is a big plus, and they do rooms sanitized between stays. And yeah, there was some occasional very slight sound from the outside. But hey, it’s a hidden gem, not a hermetically sealed vault. Little quirks make life interesting, right?
**(Quick anecdote: I once stayed in a hotel where the "ironing facilities" consisted of a rusty old iron and a board that looked like it had been through a war. The Pumpkin Hotel's were a delight by comparison!)
Cleanliness & Safety: Sanitizers, Oh My!
I was genuinely impressed with the hotel’s commitment to cleanliness. In these times, it's everything, and the Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel nails it. The staff seemed genuinely concerned about safety. Anti-viral cleaning products were clearly in use. Daily disinfection in common areas, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, and Hand sanitizer everywhere? Check, check, and check! I could hear it in the workers' voices. Staff trained in safety protocol too. They clearly are trying their best. They even had Individual-wrapped food options which I thought was really cool.
Hygiene certification is in place, too.
Dining, Sipping & Snacking: A Zimbabwean Feast!
The dining experience? Surprisingly fantastic! Now, I'm not a food critic, but the food was good. Excellent. Breakfast [buffet] was a winner, with a range of options for you to choose from, including Asian breakfast. They do Breakfast service as well, if you miss the buffet. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was excellent. The Restaurants are great too. Snack bar is there if you're in need of a quick bite. Western cuisine in restaurant, as well as Asian cuisine in restaurant, available too.
I ordered the Breakfast in room one morning (post-acclimation, naturally). I got some coffee, and it hit the spot. They do have Bottle of water available, too. Yummm!
There is also a Poolside bar, Happy hour too, and even a Vegetarian restaurant! A la carte in restaurant as well. Desserts in restaurant available.
(Another tangent! I once accidentally ordered a plate of fried crickets in Thailand. This was, thankfully, not one of the dishes offered here. Phew!)
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Spa Day, Anyone?
Okay, so the "Pumpkin Hotel" is surprisingly geared towards relaxation. They have Spa, Spa/sauna, and Steamroom!! They also have a Sauna. A Swimming pool [outdoor] and a Pool with view? Yesssss!
Unfortunately, I couldn’t get to the Body scrub and Foot bath, but I heard great things. They also had a Fitness center, which I didn't think to use. Massage available. They also have a Gym/fitness area!
Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easy:
The Pumpkin Hotel has some great add-ons. Laundry service is crucial when you're traveling. Dry cleaning services are also available. Cash withdrawal and Currency exchange are super handy. Concierge is there to help with anything. Luggage storage is also available.
(Random thought: Have you ever lost your luggage? The Pumpkin Hotel's luggage storage would have been a lifesaver on that trip!)
For the Kids: Family-Friendly Fun!
I am happy to say that the hotel is Family/child friendly. You can get a Babysitting service if need be. They even have Kids meal available.
Overall Vibe & Quirks:
The Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel isn't perfect, but that's part of its charm. It's got heart! It's quirky! It is a great hotel. The staff are amazing and helpful. It’s clean, it's friendly, and it’s a true hidden gem. I loved that it's a true escape. You'll see CCTV in common areas, and the Front desk [24-hour]
Is it a 5-star luxury resort? No. Is it a memorable, charming, and safe place to stay in Mudzi? Absolutely!
My Recommendation: Book It!
Quirky Observations:
- The "Spooktacular" theme is more subtle than you'd think. Think cozy rather than ghoulish. Though, I did see a pumpkin.
- Don't expect Michelin-star dining, but do expect tasty, authentic Zimbabwean flavors.
- Embrace the unexpected! That's where the best travel memories are made.
The Offer for Zimbabwe’s Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel: Mudzi’s Hidden Gem!
- Escape the Ordinary! Reconnect with nature and find peace at Zimbabwe’s Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel, a true hidden gem in the heart of Mudzi.
- Unwind and Rejuvenate: Indulge in luxurious spa treatments, take a refreshing dip in the outdoor pool, and savor delicious international cuisine.
- Relax, Explore, and Discover: With a serene atmosphere and friendly staff, you'll feel right at home.
- Unbeatable Value: Experience the magic of the Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel with exclusive offers and packages.
Special Offer: Book your stay this month and receive a complimentary breakfast buffet for two, a spa voucher, and a free upgrade. Book Now and Save! (Limited Availability, Book Today!) (Please note: Due to ongoing events, some amenities may be subject to availability. Please contact the hotel directly for the most up-to-date information.)
Escape to Paradise: Riverside Inn Kamakura Awaits
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to embark on a chaotic Zimbabwean adventure to the Pumpkin Hotel in Mudzi. Consider this less a meticulously planned itinerary and more… a drunken roadmap, scribbled on a serviette after too much Amarula. Let's go!
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Mudzi Mud-Bath (AKA, “Where Did I Leave My Pants?!”)
- 8:00 AM (ish) – Harare Hustle: Landing at Harare Airport. Honestly, the air smells like a delicious barbecue, even at this ungodly hour. Check-in. Find my luggage. This is always a feat of strength and cunning.
- 9:30 AM – The Transport Tango: Now, this is where things get interesting. Remember that glorious, air-conditioned shuttle the hotel promised? Nope. Instead, we're crammed into a kombi (a minibus taxi) with enough bodies to rival a sardine tin. Trying to look zen while battling the urge to scream. The driver’s blasting some hardcore Zimbabwean gospel music, which, surprisingly, helps.
- 1:00 PM – Mudzi Madness Begins: Arrive in Mudzi. The Pumpkin Hotel. It's…rustic. Let's just say it has character. And by character, I mean a certain disregard for modern conveniences. But hey, that's part of the charm, right? Right?!
- 2:00 PM – Lunch Labyrinth: The dining room is a glorious mishmash of mismatched furniture. The menu, written on a chalkboard, is a little vague. "Beef Stew" is… well, it's beef, and it's a stew. The staff, bless their hearts, are incredibly friendly, even when I accidentally order the "Super Spicy" option. My mouth is on FIRE.
- 3:30 PM – The Mud Bath of Doom (or maybe, Delight?): The brochure promised a "revitalizing mud bath." Reality? You're basically wallowing in a muddy puddle. But you know what? It's…kinda fantastic. Letting go of all my societal anxieties. Getting covered in mud, laughing, forgetting everything. It's like my inner child is screaming with joy.
- 5:00 PM – Pants Puzzler: Realization strikes! Where are my pants? They're gone! I'm pretty sure I ditched my favorite pair of pants during the mud bath and forgotten about them…I'm currently wearing a towel trying to locate them.
Day 2: Exploring and the Lost Art of Negotiating
- 8:00 AM – Breakfast, the Bare Essentials: After a fitful night (mosquitoes, oh my god, the mosquitoes), breakfast is…well, it's there. Bread, margarine, and instant coffee that tastes suspiciously like dirt. Fuel!
- 9:00 AM – Market Mayhem: We're off to the local market. This is where the real Zimbabwe reveals itself. Rows of vibrant fabrics, towering piles of fruit, and the incessant calls of vendors. The haggling is a sport here. I'm terrible at it. I end up paying way too much for a beautifully carved wooden giraffe. Worth it? Maybe. Probably not.
- 12:00 PM – The River Rumble: Someone suggested a trip to the river. We find the river, and it's beautiful. Clear water. So many birds. So much peacefulness. I swear, the world just melts away.
- 2:00 PM – The Great Pumpkin Roast: Back at the hotel, we make a pumpkin roast for lunch. I burn the pumpkin. I also start to cut my finger. My mood is starting to get moody.
- 4:00 PM – The Problem of My Pants: I wander back to the muddy spot of the mud-bath; I search, but I am still without my pants.
Day 3: Departure and the Post-Zimbabwe Blues
- 7:00 AM – The Sad Farewell to Mudzi: Last breakfast. The instant coffee feels less like dirt today, maybe because I'm so sad to go.
- 8:00 AM – The Thank-You Tour: A final, heartfelt thanks to the Pumpkin Hotel staff. They've seen me at my best (mud-covered, laughing) and my worst (screaming silently at the mosquito situation).
- 9:00 AM – The Kombi Comeback: Back in the kombi, back to Harare. It's a long, bumpy ride, but I'm surprisingly okay with it. Something about the simplicity of it all.
- 1:00 PM – Harare Again: Back in Harare. The hustle, the heat, the general chaos. But I feel…different. Mudzi did something to me. Made me slow down. Made me laugh at myself.
- 1:00 PM – The Pants Hunt: Before my flight, I need to start thinking about the missing pants. I need to find them. They were a really good fit!
- 3:00 PM – Departure: The flight takes off. Zimbabwe shrinks beneath me. And I know, with absolute certainty, that this trip will stay with me, long after the mud has washed away and the mosquitoes have stopped buzzing in my ears. I will never forget this.
This trip wasn't perfect. It was messy, challenging, and at times, just plain bewildering. But it was real. That's what makes it beautiful. Mudzi, you incredible, quirky, pants-snatching place. I miss you already.
Nagasaki Kagamiya: Unveiling Nagasaki's Hidden Gem (Japan's Best-Kept Secret?)
Zimbabwe's Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel: Mudzi's Hidden Gem! (Or Is It...?) - FAQs
So, what *actually* is the Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel? Like, is it haunted by the ghost of a particularly grumpy butternut squash?
Okay, deep breaths. It's... a hotel. In Mudzi. That's the important part, the *Mudzi* part. Don't expect the Ritz. Think… well, think of a place where someone, bless their cotton socks, decided "Pumpkins! Yes! That'll make a good theme!" Apparently, every room is, or was, decorated with pumpkin-themed paraphernalia. I emphasize *was* because honestly, some of its decor looked like it had seen better days. Imagine a wilting, felt pumpkin head staring at you from the wall. Charming, right? But the ghost of a grumpy butternut squash? Maybe... let's just say I felt a distinct Chill in Room 7, but that might have just been the air conditioning, which, frankly, felt as old as the pumpkins themselves.
Is Mudzi itself… y'know, worth the trek? I hear it's a bit off the beaten path…
"Off the beaten path" is putting it mildly. It's like the path took one look at Mudzi and said, "Nope. Pass." The journey there? Let's just say I developed a new appreciation for the suspension system of my poor little car. But! Mudzi… well, it has a certain, shall we say, 'charm'. It's raw Zimbabwe, unfiltered. You're not going to find a Starbucks. You're going to find vibrant local markets, friendly faces, and a profound sense of "this is real life." Honestly, it's a place where your phone signal vanishes, and somehow you find yourself actually *talking* to people. And that, I'll admit, is pretty darn special. Just bring a good book. And maybe a spare tire. Did I mention the roads?
The Pumpkin Hotel... What can I expect in terms of amenities? (Be honest now...)
Okay, deep breath. Right. Forget the fancy stuff. Think: basic. VERY basic. Think… a bed. Possibly with a questionable spring or two. Running water? Let's hope the pump is working. Hot water? Well, depending on the time of day, and the mood of the geyser… it's an adventure! WiFi? Please. You're lucky if you can pick up a single bar of cell service. But, and this is the crucial "but": they had a pool. A slightly murky pool, granted. But a pool. And under the blazing Zimbabwean sun, that lukewarm, vaguely-chlorine-smelling oasis felt like a taste of heaven. Pure bliss. Even the slightly moldy smell couldn't dampen my spirits. (But maybe bring your own towel.)
And the food? Please, tell me about the food...
Ah, the food. This is where things get... interesting. I'm not going to lie. The breakfast buffet was... compact. Let's say that. You got your sad little bread rolls, a selection of what they called 'sausages' (the origin of which I choose not to dwell on), and some fruit that may or may not have been fresh. But then... dinner! Oh, dinner. One night, they had a *braai*. A proper Zimbabwean braai, with fire-roasted meat, sadza (trust me, you *will* try the sadza), and sides. And honestly? It was incredible. Perfectly cooked, tender, flavorful. I had seconds. Maybe thirds. The chef? A true inspiration, turning basic ingredients into a feast. Forget the pumpkins, the food was the true spooky thing there. It was magically delicious. And that memory alone is worth the trip.
So, the pumpkin theme... Was it *really* everywhere? Was it… overwhelming?
Okay. Gather 'round. Prepare yourselves. Yes. The pumpkin theme was… pervasive. **It was a pumpkinpocalypse.** Think pumpkin paintings, pumpkin carvings, pumpkin-shaped cushions, fake pumpkin vines draped everywhere, even pumpkin-scented air fresheners that smelled vaguely of… well, rotting vegetal matter. My room? Oh, my room. Picture this: a felt pumpkin silhouette attempting to loom over the bed, a scattering of dusty plastic pumpkin confetti on the bedside table, and a… a single, dried, shriveled pumpkin stem adorning the bathroom mirror. I swear, I started seeing pumpkins in my sleep. By the end of my stay, I was convinced that the hotel itself was secretly made of pumpkin flesh. Maybe the ghost squash was right.
What about the staff? Were they friendly?
Absolutely! The staff were the saving grace of the whole experience. Forget the questionable plumbing and the pumpkin overload; they were absolutely lovely. Kind, welcoming, always smiling. They went above and beyond to make sure you were comfortable. They made sure you get your favorite meal or a cup of coffee. They had a true Zimbabwean spirit and made you feel like family. They remembered your name. They offered travel advice. And they didn't seem to bat an eyelid at my increasingly frantic reactions to the pumpkin situation. Honestly, they were angels. Absolute angels.
Is it *really* 'Spooktacular'? Should I expect anything… scary?
"Spooktacular" is... a bit of a stretch. I'd say 'Pumpkin-tacular' is closer to the mark. Scary? Well, the ghosts, the plumbing, and the drive to get there were more frightening than the pumpkins themselves. You may hear some wildlife noises at night, but it is more likely to be a donkey than a ghoul. If you're easily spooked by dusty decorations, slightly iffy hygiene, or the occasional creak in the floorboards, then, by all means, YES! Otherwise, no. Unless you count the *possibility* of running out of hot water... that's genuinely terrifying.
Would you go back? Honestly. Be brutally honest.
Okay, deep, deep breath. This is a tough one. The Pumpkin Hotel? It's not for everyone. If you're expecting luxury, pristine conditions, and Michelin-star dining, then absolutely not. BUT… if you're looking for an unforgettable experience, a taste of authentic Zimbabwe, and the best braai in the country? And if you don't mind a few quirks, a lot of pumpkins, and the distinct possibility of encountering a grumpy butternut squash ghost? Yes. Yes, I'd go back. In a heartbeat. Because beneath the layer of dust, the questionable decor, and the slightly unpredictable plumbing, there's something truly special about the Spooktacular Pumpkin Hotel. It made me laugh, it made me frustrated, but most of all, it made me feel alive. Plus, I'm *really* curious to see if the air conditioning has been updated. Probably not.

