Unbelievable Chalet in the Swiss Alps: Chalet Mar'Mot Awaits!
Chalet Mar'Mot: Where Dreams of the Swiss Alps… Almost Come True! (A Very Honest Review)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from a stay at Chalet Mar'Mot and, well, let's just say it was an experience. This isn't going to be your sanitized, PR-approved review. This is the real deal, warts and all, Swiss Alps style. Prepare for a rollercoaster, because honestly, that’s what the whole damn trip felt like (in a good way, mostly!).
Accessibility - The Great Alpine Staircase (and Other Challenges)
Let's get the accessibility thing out the way first. Chalet Mar'Mot does claim to have facilities for disabled guests. And, uh, they do have an elevator. But let's be real, the Swiss Alps are not known for their flat, easily navigable terrain. Getting to the chalet itself might be a bit of a hike (literally, up a steepish lane). So, while the internal navigation is relatively okay, the initial approach might require a bit of planning if you’re using a wheelchair. I saw someone struggling to walk a bit, then saw a guy going on a downhill skiing race, so it's all quite wild.
Internet - Bless the Free Wi-Fi Gods! (And the Occasional Glitch)
Right, the internet. In the middle of freaking nowhere, internet is GOD. Bless the free Wi-Fi in all rooms! It saved my life. Mostly. There were a couple of evenings where the signal got a little… flaky. You know, like when you're trying to upload that Insta-worthy pic of the Matterhorn and it just… spins… and spins… and then you just give up and stare longingly at the cheese fondue. But overall, it was good enough, especially for scrolling through all the amazing mountain scenery, and the rooms had LAN too.
Things to Do - Relax, Rejuvenate, and Maybe Not Get Lost (Unless You Want To)
Okay, this is where Chalet Mar'Mot really shines. They have a list of things to do that is ridiculously long. They offer:
Spa/Sauna/Steamroom: Okay, I didn't try the body scrub because the thought of someone scrubbing my back after a day of hiking made my stomach do flip flops. I did spend a glorious hour in the sauna, though. The steamroom was also lovely, especially after inhaling all that fresh mountain air.
Pool with a View: They've got a stunning outdoor pool overlooking the valley. It was the perfect spot to toast myself in the midday sun, and watch the clouds drift by. It was a perfect view.
Fitness Center/Gym/Fitness: The gym was… well, it was there. I’m not a gym bunny, so I mostly just glanced at the equipment thinking I should probably use it, but then I thought, hey I walked up a mountain today so I should be ok.
MASSAGE: I will say it felt a bit weird at first, having someone give me a massage. But after a few minutes of awkwardness, it was pure bliss.
Cleanliness and Safety - They Really Tried! (And Mostly Succeeded)
They really went above and beyond with COVID precautions. It was pretty impressive. Daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer everywhere you looked, rooms sanitized between stays, the works. They gave us those little individually-wrapped packets of soap and stuff, which felt a bit unnecessary, but hey, better safe than sorry. Honestly, it made me feel safe, even if I did feel a bit like I was in a hospital sometimes.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - Fondue Fever and (Slightly) Limited Options
Alright, the food. This is where Chalet Mar'Mot gets a bit… Swiss. Meaning, lots of cheese. Lots. The breakfast buffet was good. I mean, a buffet is a buffet, right? Croissants, the usual suspects, and a decent selection of cheese and meats. The restaurants:
- A la carte in restaurant
- Dinner Service: The restaurant was a bit more of a mixed bag. The "International cuisine" on offer was… interesting. I definitely had better meals in Switzerland. The fondue, however, was divine. I swear I could have lived on it alone for a week.
- Breakfast [Buffet]
- Happy Hour
- Poolside bar
- Snack bar
Services and Conveniences - The Good, the Bad, and the "Why Didn't I Think of That?"
Here’s where Chalet Mar'Mot throws in a few more curveballs. They had:
- Convenience store: Essential, because sometimes you just need a chocolate bar at 10 pm.
- Air conditioning in public area: Nice touch!
- Concierge: Super helpful with insider tips and booking excursions.
- Daily housekeeping: The rooms were spotless. They even folded my socks!
- Laundry service: Fantastic after all that hiking.
- Doorman: A nice touch, but maybe a bit too formal for a place that also felt wonderfully rugged?
- Cash withdrawal: Good to have, after all that fondue.
For the Kids - Family-Friendly, But Maybe Not a Theme Park
- Babysitting service: They have it.
- Kids meal: They have it.
- Family/child friendly: They are.
Available in all rooms - The Nitty Gritty (and the Awesome)
- Air conditioning: Needed it not because it was hot, but because sometimes the wind was way too strong.
- Alarm clock: Yes.
- Bathrobes: Always a win.
- Bathtub: Yes.
- Blackout curtains: Essential for sleeping in (or hiding from the world).
- Coffee/tea maker: Fuel for the day and the morning.
- Daily housekeeping: Thank you for folding my socks!
- Desk: Great for planning my next adventure.
- Extra long bed: Perfect for lounging after a long day of skiing.
- Free bottled water: Nice touch.
- Hair dryer: Because who wants a bad hair day in a beautiful setting?
- Internet access – LAN: Helpful.
- Internet access – wireless: Essential.
- Ironing facilities: Didn't use it. Maybe I should have, though.
- Laptop workspace: Useful.
- Linens: Soft.
- Mini bar: Oh, yes.
- Non-smoking: Good.
- Private bathroom: A must.
- Reading light: Nice.
- Refrigerator: Useful for my chocolate stash.
- Satellite/cable channels: Important.
- Seating area: For planning the next day's adventure.
- Separate shower/bathtub: A luxury.
- Shower: Also.
- Slippers: Nice.
- Smoke detector: Good.
- Socket near the bed: Always a plus.
- Sofa: Relaxing after a tough day.
- Telephone: Still a thing.
- Toiletries: Did the trick.
- Towels: Fluffy.
- Umbrella: Because the weather can be unpredictable.
- Wake-up service: Helpful.
- Wi-Fi [free]: Thank the internet gods.
- Window that opens: Needed to feel the fresh mountain air.
The Emotional Verdict: Would I Go Back?
Honestly? Yes. Despite the minor quirks and the occasional internet hiccup, Chalet Mar'Mot has a certain charm. It's got the "Swiss Alps" aesthetic down pat – think cozy, rustic, and with views that will literally take your breath away. It is a place to relax and enjoy the views, which is exactly what I wanted.
The Quirky Extras
- Shrine: They have one.
- Exterior corridor: The hotel felt like it was built onto the side of a mountain, with exterior corridors.
- Room decorations: Felt cozy.
The Offer (Because You Deserve a Real Deal)
Forget the Ordinary, Embrace the Alpine Adventure!
Tired of the same old vacation routine? Craving an escape that's both luxurious and authentically Swiss? Then it's time to book your stay at Chalet Mar'Mot! We're offering an exclusive deal:
Book in the next 24 hours and get:
- 15% off your stay!
- A complimentary bottle of local wine!
- Free access to all spa facilities for one day!
Why Chalet Mar'Mot?
- Unforgettable Views: Wake up to the breathtaking beauty of the Swiss Alps every single day.
- Relaxation that Recharges: From the spa to the pool, unwind and rejuvenate in style. And the fondue… the fondue!
- Safety First: We're committed to your health and well-being with hygiene protocols that go above and beyond.
- **Adventure Awaits

Alright, buckle up buttercup, because this isn't your grandma's meticulously planned Swiss itinerary. This is… me, losing my mind (in a good way, hopefully) at Chalet Mar'Mot, La Tzoumaz. Honestly, just getting here felt like a feat of engineering, involving a train that smelled suspiciously of cheese fondue (not complaining!), a bus that seemed to defy physics on every hairpin turn, and the lingering scent of my own existential dread about my ski abilities. But hey, we made it!
Day 1: Arrival and the Existential Dread of the Ski Slope
- 14:00: Arrive at Chalet Mar'Mot. Okay, first impressions? Spectacular. Honestly, the photos don't do it justice. The view! The wood! The sheer, delightful Swiss-ness of the place. I nearly tripped over my giant suitcase in my excitement. Seriously, though, unpacking feels like a Herculean task. Where did I even get this many sweaters? Maybe I overpacked… nah. Just prepared.
- 14:30-15:00: Settle in, unpack, and wander around. Discovering the chalet. I'm in the "Chamois" room, which sounds way cooler than it is. It does, however, have a balcony overlooking the valley, which might be the only thing that will get me through my first day on the slopes.
- 15:00-16:00: Gear up to ski! This is where the dread begins. I had the brilliant idea of renting skis and boots. I'm absolutely terrible at skiing. I envisioned myself gliding gracefully down the mountain, a vision shattered instantly when I had to squeeze into those torture devices they call ski boots. Who designs these things? They feel like they were made to punish my feet for… breathing?
- 16:00-17:00: First attempt at skiing. The absolute madness of it all. Actually on the mountain. I took the bunny slope chairlift (thank goodness), and it felt like I was suspended in mid-air, staring death in the face. My first run down was…well, let's just say I spent more time horizontal than vertical. I felt like a newborn giraffe trying to walk for the first time. There were a lot of flailing arms, a lot of snow in my face, and a shocking number of near-collisions with small children who were skiing circles around me. Why are they so good? Is there a secret ski instruction manual for the under-10s?
- 17:00-18:00: Return to the chalet, collapsing on a chair. I'm exhausted. And freezing. And slightly mortified. I took a hot shower to begin the recovery process.
- 19:00: Dinner at the chalet. Delicious raclette, cheese, and potatoes. Now is when I truly understand the origins of "Swiss cuisine". I have never tasted anything so heavy (in the best way possible). This is what I am going to remember!
Day 2: The Glorious Pursuit of the View
- 08:00: Wake up, and see the view again. It's breathtaking. I think the sunrise is even more beautiful. I am actually going to start waking up early to see this.
- 09:00: Breakfast. Croissants and coffee. Yes, please.
- 10:00-13:00: More skiing… with lessons! I sucked it up and took a ski lesson. I'm not going to lie, the instructor had the patience of a saint. And while I'm not exactly going to be challenging for the Winter Olympics anytime soon, I managed to stay upright for more than 5 seconds at a time. Small victories! We went on a slightly steeper slope! And I got a bit better!
- 13:00-14:00: Lunch at a mountain restaurant. Finding out that the food is much better up here. I still need practice skiing, but I could get used to this.
- 14:00-17:00: Taking the "highest chair". There's a chairlift that goes to almost the summit of Mount Chasseral. The ride up was nothing short of stunning. The wind was howling, and the sun was sparkling, but the view was unparalleled. I did a lot of deep breathing. Then it was a slow walk across the snowy meadow. I felt…connected. To the world. To myself. And then I got back on the chairlift and went back down. It was perfect.
- 18:00: A hot tub session. I am still tired from all the skiing. And, because, I just want to relax! I spent a good hour in the hot tub, with a bottle of cold beer and a view of the valley.
- 19:00: Dinner again! Pasta night! I am not complaining! And, most importantly, new cheese.
Day 3: The Road to Zen and Chocolate
- 09:00: Breakfast. This whole experience is going to make me gain weight. But I do not care.
- 10:00-12:00: Hiking and exploration. I did not ski today! I was too tired. I walked through the forest. I walked through the snow. I took pictures. I felt soothed.
- 12:00-13:00: Lunch! Lunch at the chalet. I asked for seconds.
- 13:00-16:00: Chocolate! I decided to embrace the stereotypical Swiss experience. Chocolate tasting. A very small detour to a local chocolatier! I ate a lot of chocolate. And bought a lot of chocolate. I may have acquired a chocolate addiction.
- 16:00-18:00: Rest and Relaxation. I read a book. I took a nap. I am becoming a better person.
- 19:00: Dinner (last night). The last dinner. I have never felt so at peace with the world. And so full. I am a cheese convert.
Day 4: Adieu, Switzerland!
- 09:00: Last breakfast. Farewell to the view. I could get used to this.
- 10:00: Pack and head on my way home. I'm definitely coming back. Next time, I'll be ready.
- 11:00: Depart. The journey home involves: the bus that almost went off a cliff, the train that reeked of cheese. Goodbye, Chalet Mar'Mot! I'm emotionally exhausted, physically bruised, and utterly, completely in love with Switzerland. Until next time.
And now, a few random thoughts, in no particular order:
- The Swiss are ridiculously polite. Seriously, it's almost unsettling.
- I need to learn to ski better. And maybe invest in some warmer gloves.
- Cheese is a philosophy. A delicious, cheesy philosophy.
- This place is magical. Seriously. Find your magic place.
So, there you have it. The chaotic, cheese-fueled, and snow-dusted adventure of yours truly. It wasn't perfect. It wasn't always pretty. But it was real. And that's what makes it worthwhile, right? Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find a hot bath and a large slab of chocolate. Cheers!
Escape to Paradise: OYO Hotel Casino Del Valle, Matehuala, Mexico Awaits!
Chalet Mar'Mot Awaits!: Your Brain's Guide to Alpine Bliss (and Maybe a Little Chaos)
Okay, spill it. Is Chalet Mar'Mot *actually* as dreamy as the pictures? Because let's be real, Instagram lies.
Alright, alright, the truth. The photos? They're… mostly accurate. The *light* in the Alps is a cheat code. Seriously, it's like someone turned on a giant Instagram filter for the entire valley. But the devil, as they say, is in the details. The chalet itself? Gorgeous. Rustic charm oozing from every beam, especially when you're nursing a massive red wine hangover. That balcony view? Yep, jaw-dropping. Until, you know, a random marmot decides to sunbathe directly in front of it and completely ruins your perfectly posed morning coffee pic. Happened to me. Twice. Still, dreamy? Yeah, mostly. Just pack a healthy dose of reality (and maybe a marmot-repellent spray… I’m kidding… mostly).
What's the deal with the "rustic charm"? Is it code for "no wifi and only one plug"?
HAHA! Okay, deep breath. “Rustic charm” translates to “perfectly imperfect”. The wifi? Yeah, it's there. Sometimes. It’s Swiss wifi, so it’s probably more reliable than you expect, But don't go planning any important Zoom calls based on it. And the plugs? They've got adapters – thank GOD. (I’m telling you, that first phone dying while you’re trying to find the nearest chocolate shop is NOT a good look.) Expect exposed wooden beams, perhaps a slight creak in the floorboards (which is *charming* until 3 AM), and maybe – just maybe – a teeny, tiny spider. He's part of the ambiance. Just… try not to look directly at him.
**Side Note:** The fireplace is a game-changer. Seriously, get the fire going, grab a book, and prepare to forget what a screen even *is*. Unless you’re me, who spent half an hour trying to figure out how to light the damn thing. Turns out, it wasn’t rocket science. Just a lot of embarrassed coughing and a very smoky living room. Learn from my mistakes, people!
Let's talk food. Can I expect gourmet five-star dining, or am I going to be foraging for berries to survive?
Neither. It is more of a "rustic culinary adventure". You're not getting Michelin-star service, but you're also not starving. The kitchen is well-equipped, so you're meant to cook (or, you know, *attempt* to cook). There are supermarkets nearby that are *amazingly* well-stocked with Swiss goodies (hello, cheese!). If you're a complete kitchen disaster like me, hire a local caterer at least for your first night. Seriously, consider it. My first attempt at fondue was a… *learning experience* involving a lot of burnt cheese and a very confused cat. And yes, there's berries available. Great for breakfast.
Tell me about the location. Is it isolated? Will I be able to sneak off to chocolate shops unnoticed by the world?
Okay, isolation… yes. It's nestled in the mountains. Cell service is somewhat spotty. You're surrounded by stunning views. So, yes, you can sneak off to chocolate shops unnoticed, but in the Swiss Alps, that’s almost impossible. The mountains act as a kind of giant loudspeaker. You'll hear cowbells, the wind, the distant chatter of hikers... and sometimes, the overly enthusiastic yodeling of a local. But you will feel VERY isolated, and it is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Embrace it!
Also, the nearest village is charming, but you WILL need a car (or reliable snowshoes if that is your choice). Be prepared to navigate some winding roads, and remember to pack your snow chains if it's winter. I'm a terrible driver, and I made it. You can too.
What are the must-do activities? Give me the run-down.
Okay, pay attention! Firstly: **HIKING.** Obvious, I know. But do it. The trails are breathtaking. Pack layers. Bring water. Don't underestimate the sun. Secondly: **SKIING/Snowboarding.** If it's winter, duh. The slopes are amazing (I’m not the best skier, but even I had a blast). Thirdly: **Eat Cheese.** All the cheese. All the time. Fourth: **Stare at the mountains.** Seriously, just sit on the balcony and soak it in. It’s good for the soul. Fifth: **Embrace the Unexpected.** The Swiss are practical but it is still possible to get lost on a trail. Be prepared to improvise. Enjoy the journey, and that's all there is to it!
**My Personal Recommendation:** Find a local bakery. The bread. The pastries. Oh, the pastries! It’s worth every calorie. Trust me… I’m still working off the effects of my last trip.
I'm a little anxious. What if something goes wrong? I am not made of money.
Deep breaths. Things *can* go wrong. Trust me, I know! The car might get stuck in the snow. You might miscalculate your grocery budget. You might trip over a rogue root on a hike. But that's part of the adventure! First call the host. They are generally super helpful. They've seen it all. If you are on a budget, just make sure to bring some groceries instead of eating out all the time.
And speaking of which... One trip, I misjudged the amount of wine needed for a particularly festive evening. Not by a little. By a lot. We ran out. The nearest shop was a 45-minute drive. Panic. But then, a neighbor (who seemed to materialize from nowhere, like a Swiss mountain spirit) offered us a bottle of their homemade something-or-other. Which was, by the way. amazing. The point is, people in the mountains are generally wonderful and helpful. Even if you're a complete klutz, most likely everything will be fine, and if not, it is just a fun story.

